Monday 13 August 2012

London Olympics an Overwhelming Success

Admittedly I gave the closing ceremony a miss, because frankly I’d had enough of the Spice Girls 15 years ago (and was more interested in watching the final round of the PGA), but as for all the moments of the Olympics I did see, I thought the whole thing was just brilliant.
I did share the concerns that some people had on the eve of the games, but writing this now I had absolutely no reason to be concerned, everything was delivered on time, the venues were fantastic, the support for all athletes was reciprocated in the sparkling performances we saw from the competitors across all the disciplines, even if I still don’t fully understand how some of them work.
Like everyone else I too have a favourite moment of the games and it has to be the incredible sight of Ennis, Rutherford and Farah all winning gold in the space of 40 odd minutes, in what was undoubtedly the best night for British athletics in a very long time.
While one of the key factors in our securing of the game was the legacy, I think as we won’t truly know the full results of that for a few years, for now everyone involved in the running of the games and everyone who attended or cheered on from home can sit back and say that’s why we’re called Great Britain.   

No comments:

Post a Comment