Thursday 2 August 2012

Kayaking Conflict of Interest

There have been many great stories to come out of this Olympics so far, but one that caught my eye in particular is the story about New Zealander Mike Dawson, who is competing in the men’s kayaking competition.
The interesting thing is that one of the judges in the men’s kayak competition is his own mother Kay, and get this she gave him a penalty for an infraction.
I know very little about kayaking, like most people it surfaces on my radar once every four years, but I sense there may be a slight conflict of interest taking place here.
Surely those in charge should have clocked that her son was one of the competitors she would be asked to judge, and then stepped in and swapped her with another judge.
While many have praised her honesty for marking her son down, I’m not so sure that’s what’s going on here, despite the mark down Dawson still made the semi-finals and if he were to be in medal contention (he could be favourite to take gold I have no idea) and his mother were to be on the judging panel again would she do the same.  

No comments:

Post a Comment