Thursday 23 January 2014

Central heating may make you fat, say researchers

Having the central heating on may be contributing to our ballooning waistlines, Dutch researchers suggest.

They say higher temperatures in homes, offices and hospitals provide more comfort, but mean bodies no longer need to burn extra calories to keep warm.

A Maastricht University Medical Centre group says 19C (66F) is sufficient to provide the right balance.

Stories like this always bring a smile to my face, so-called ‘researchers’ are always coming out with bizarre crap like this.

When I read the research was done in the Netherlands I wasn’t surprised, although I was surprised to read in was done at a University because it sounds like it was done in the backroom of a coffee shop in Amsterdam.

The suggestion here seems to be to turn your thermostat down and put up with cold, which I’m sure will work for a while until you end up having to compensate by eating more just to keep warm.


It never ceases to amaze me that ‘research’ of this nature continues to be funded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment