Monday 7 October 2013

Over half of schools failing in religious education, says Ofsted

More than half of England's schools are failing pupils on religious education, the schools watchdog Ofsted has said.

Its report accuses schools and the government of failing to focus effectively on the subject.

It adds that six in 10 schools are not "realising the subject's full potential" in an increasingly globalised and multicultural century.

I totally agree with this and thinking back to the RE lessons I had at school I used to hate them and viewed them as something to just get through before either going off to a lesson I actually enjoyed or even better going home.

The fact that I’m an atheist didn’t help, but I must say one of the most enjoyable lessons I’ve ever had was when we were made to watch a video about creationism, I’ve never laughed so much in all my life.

Sitting there and listening to person after person after person looking directly out at me from the screen and telling me, with absolute sincerity, that this is how the universe and life on earth was created was hilarious, in fact even reciting this now is making me chuckle.


Instead I think it would make more sense to teach kids about different cultures and traditions, I know that religion would form a large part of that, but instead of focusing solely on religion you could teach the most relevant religious points and tie them in with how people from different cultures view the world, what traditions they have, how they live their lives etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment