Wednesday 2 October 2013

Key Simpsons character to be killed off

The Simpsons will never be the same after season 25; this run will be marked by the death of a key character.

Talking to The Sun, executive producer Al Jean spilled the beans about the forthcoming plot twist: “I'll give you a clue - the actor playing the character won an Emmy for playing that character, but I won't say who it is.”

As big a Simpsons fan as I am this plot twist smacks of one thing, desperation. The last time they killed a character off, Maude Flanders in Season 11, it led to a jump in the ratings so they’re just repeating the trick here, and it also acts as a cover for the obvious decline in quality.

I know that argument has been made time and time again but it’s true and I didn’t fully appreciate just how much until recently when I watched several Simpsons episodes from the golden period, seasons 3-8, and then watched a few of the newish episodes, the difference in quality was huge.

When in its prime I could count on one hand, usually just a couple of fingers, the number of bad episodes in a season comprised of 24, now it’s the other way round out of 24 new episodes I can count on one hand the number of good ones, and that’s a stretch.


The Simpsons has been a cultural phenomenon and despite being a cartoon has provided some of the greatest sitcom episodes you could ever wish to see, but it’s dragged on too long and needs to stop because Groening and co. are tainting their legacies.         

No comments:

Post a Comment