Friday 8 November 2013

Hodgson: I can’t afford to drop Hart

Roy Hodgson admits he cannot afford to drop Joe Hart because it would put a further dent in the goalkeeper's confidence.

Hodgson confirmed that either Fraser Forster or John Ruddy will start in goal for one of England's upcoming friendlies - most likely against Chile - but the Three Lions boss made it crystal-clear that Hart remains very much his number one.

While I’m sure Hodgson said this with the best of intentions he maybe could have had checked over what he was going to say before he said it, then maybe he would have realised that this is back-handed compliment aimed at Hart.

Saying I can’t afford to drop him makes it sound like Hodgson really wants to but knows he can’t because the two back up keepers aren’t experienced or talented enough to replace him, he’s basically saying to Hart I would drop you but there’s no-one else so I’m kind of stuck with you.

I’m also not buying this I can’t drop him because it would affect his confidence, I think the reason his form has been sub-par recently is because he’s got complacent and actually I think dropping him would make him re-focus and get him back on track.  


Hopefully Hart does re-discover his form because there really isn’t anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment