Wednesday 10 July 2013

Cafe owner ‘warns’ customers she is black

A cafe owner has put up a sign telling customers she is black because she is fed up with people walking out when they see the colour of her skin.

The sign on the door of Yeanon Cafe in Ossett, West Yorkshire, reads: "I am a black woman... If you are allergic to black people, don't come in."

Martha-Renée Kolleh said she put it there because of the way she has been treated by some customers.

The first thing I read of this article was the sign and I have to say I found it rather amusing, but then you read on and it gets increasingly more depressing, and I don’t understand why some people in Osset are surprised that a black woman runs a cafe, and why when they discover this fact they leave, makes no sense to me whatsoever.

However, I think that this idea of putting up a sign outside shops, cafes etc. telling customers about the owner would make the high streets a more interesting place.


You walk past your local greasy spoon and there’s a sign saying owner is a two-chinned heavyset man with a dicky heart and the food he serves will clog all your arteries and put you at risk of heart attacks and diabetes, come on in.    

No comments:

Post a Comment