Monday 8 July 2013

Andy Murray wins Wimbledon

Andy Murray won his first Wimbledon title and ended Britain's 77-year wait for a men's champion with a hard-fought victory over world number one Novak Djokovic.

The Scot, 26, converted his fourth championship point in a dramatic final game to win 6-4 7-5 6-4 and claim his second major title.

I remember when I first started watching Wimbledon all I ever heard was a Brit won’t win it ever again, and over the years the repetition of that sentence conditioned me into thinking well maybe they it won’t happen, but thankfully that hasn’t turned out to be the case and what a performance it was by Murray.

After the way the match started I was expecting a five hour, epic, and although I wasn’t surprised Murray won, I was surprised he did it in three.

Djokovic was worn down from that unbelievable semi-final on Friday and after Murray fought back and took the second set it looked to me like he didn’t believe he could come back and do it in five.

Murray’s win capped a remarkable weekend for British sport, you had the Lions win their first tour in 16 years, then Chris Froome putting in two huge efforts in the mountains to be in the yellow jersey, McDowell winning the French Open and we’re favourites for the Ashes that start on Wednesday, not bad eh.

Back to the tennis and now it seems with Nadal’s injuries and Federer starting to fade, this certainly won’t be the last final we see between Djokovic and Murray, in fact I’m sure all bets are already off for them meeting in the final of the U.S. Open.

But for now the long wait has been ended and I can finally say I saw a Brit win Wimbledon.


No comments:

Post a Comment