Thursday 15 August 2013

Ban lifted for NHS staff with HIV

The government is to lift a ban that stops healthcare staff with HIV performing certain medical procedures.

Healthcare staff in England, Wales and Scotland having HIV treatment will be able to take part in all tasks, including surgery and dentistry.

England's chief medical officer, Prof Dame Sally Davies, said it was time to scrap “outdated rules”.

Call me old fashioned but, touch wood, if I had to go into hospital I’d prefer that I was treated with someone who didn’t have HIV.

Prof Davies says the risk to this is “negligible”, but it’s still adding risk and I don’t see the rationale in introducing a new source of risk, no matter how small, into hospitals which are incubators for viruses, diseases etc.


This means that there is a greater chance of HIV being transmitted, and who does that benefit? This is a case of liberalism going a step too far and usurping common sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment