Wednesday 29 May 2013

IKEA faces backlash over violent garden gnome ad

IKEA is facing a furious backlash after filming an advert that shows garden gnomes being violently attacked.

The advert brandished the slogan ‘say no to gnomes’ and features an army of angry gnomes invading a family who are redecorating their garden.

As the bearded garden guardians rebel against the new garden, the couple find increasingly violent ways to kill them off.

One particular scene shows a heartbroken gnome standing over a fallen friend who has been smashed in half.

I have never read something that is so ridiculous and yet so hilarious all at the same time, basically IKEA have recreated a scene reminiscent of the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan, but with gnomes.

I don’t think I’ve ever known a company to produce an ad that tries so hard to discredit an inanimate object, I mean if people want gnomes in their garden it’s up to them, I don’t see how having gnomes will affect garden furniture?

Have the people at IKEA convinced themselves that Toy Story is real, and that at night in gardens across the world gnomes are coming to life and spend until sunrise trying to break and disassemble IKEA garden furniture.


I don’t get what IKEA were trying to do with this ad but it sure made me laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment