Friday 16 November 2012

PCC elections see record low turnout

The first police and crime commissioner elections (PCC) have come under scrutiny due to the record low number of voter turnouts.
In the Merseyside election just 12.9% of people voted, in Manchester it was 13.5%, in the West Midlands councils reported a turnout of 12-13% and at one polling station in Newport NOBODY showed up.
Election expert Professor John Curtice, of Strathclyde University, said: “it looks pretty likely that this will be the worst turnout in any nationwide set of elections ever.”
To me this whole exercise seems like a big waste of time and money, I like the majority yesterday decided not to vote and stay indoors and I did so for several reasons.
I didn’t know what I was voting for, I had no idea what a PCC could do once elected, and I didn’t know anything about any of the candidates who were standing in my area.
So given those set of circumstances there was no point in me voting, I wasn’t going to vote just for the sake of it and looking at the turnout numbers I wasn’t the only one.
Also those who have been elected are they going to be taken seriously, I mean most were probably elected with less than 10% of the vote.
Surely next time they are held there should be much more information so voters can make informed choices otherwise you’ll most likely see even less people vote next time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment