Friday 26 October 2012

Champions League qualification isn’t as good as a trophy

I'll get the formalities out of the way up top, I’m an Arsenal fan have been all my life and I along with many other long suffering gooners I've had to endure seven frustrating years of watching our side win jack.
So I was very surprised to hear that at Arsenal’s AGM our manager, Arsene Wenger, revealed that he felt qualification for the Champions League is better than winning a trophy.
Either he genuinely believes that or he’s just saying that to cover up the pain of the baron run we’re on when it comes to silverware, because that’s a ridiculous thing to say.
I love the fact that we’ve qualified for the Champions League on such a consistent basis under Wenger but it’s not the same as pointing to the trophy cabinet and saying look what we’ve won.
In my opinion Wenger has been the best manager we’ve ever had, but as we are currently the most expensive club to watch each week and the fact that we’ve spent the last few summers selling our best players, I think every Arsenal fan has the right to feel aggrieved at the situation we find ourselves in.
If Wenger wants to win the fans back he can start by doing one simple thing, spend some real money on players, it’s estimated that Arsenal around £150m sitting in the bank, if Wenger spent some of this money in January or the summer it would show a real desire to compete with the other teams at the top, because the way we’re doing at the moment means we’re fighting with one hand tied behind our backs.
Yes it’s important to qualify for the Champions League for many reasons, but it will never replace the feeling a fan gets from watching his team lift a trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment