Saturday 9 March 2013

South Dakota to allow armed teachers


The US state of South Dakota has enacted a law allowing school districts to arm teachers and other school staff.

The law’s backers say it will prevent mass school shootings like the December massacre in Connecticut that killed 26.

The measure does not force school districts to arm teachers and will not require teachers to carry guns.

But it allows each school district to choose if staff could be armed. It takes effect in July.

This new law is crazy, there’s no other word for it.

The politicians in South Dakota have decided that the best way to prevent gun violence in schools is to legally allow guns in schools.

I’m just thinking about when I was at school and how if someone shot their way into my classroom, the percentage of trust I would have had in one of my teachers to protect us would have been a big fat zero.

This really is a dreadful idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment