Friday 29 June 2012

Shocks all Round, Germany and Nadal Lose

Last night Italy left me with a large dollop of egg on my face after upsetting favourites Germany to win their Euro semi-final.

Despite me writing them off the Italians played like a team without expectation and just went for it, and surprisingly Germany struggled for most of the game to try and stop them.

Many column inches have been dedicated to the mercurial Mario Balotelli, but last night he produced a performance few saw coming, he closed down, linked up with teammates, didn’t throw a tantrum and most importantly scored two well taken goals.

Maybe he will kick on and we’ll see less madness and more of last night. (it’s possible)

Added to the Germans exit, I turned over moments later in pure amazement to see that Rafael Nadal had been knocked out of Wimbledon, the first time he’s exited a grand slam this early for seven years.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here, but that does mean should he get there Murray won’t have to play Nadal in the semis, I’m sure he’ll be relieved as he’s lost to Nadal at that stage the past two years.

Back to the football and having kept up their hoodoo over the Germans the Italians now face Spain in the final.

Italy have surprised me in getting this far but I think Spain will be too much for them, Pirlo who again ran the show against Germany will definitely have a more difficult time of it as Spain are the best side in possession.

It will be tight but I think Spain will win and make it 3 major tournaments in a row and rightly go down as one of, if not the best international side ever. (But I’ve been wrong before)

No comments:

Post a Comment